How to Make a Halloween Craft with Popsicle Sticks
I may earn money or products from links or companies mentioned in this post. For more details please see my disclosure.
Some of my fondest memories as a child were making art projects with my mom and grandmother.
I love a fun and easy holiday craft.
Popsicle sticks are great because you can do so many different things with them!
In the Thoughtful Traditions Halloween box this month I included popsicle sticks, glue, paint and googly eyes for kids to get creative with.
Even if you don’t have your own box you can easily find these supplies and make your own!
Here are a few basic steps and ideas for your next Halloween craft.
1. Take your popsicle sticks and lay them side by side until you get the desired size you want. If you have a Halloween box I included 14 sticks for each child. You could do one larger piece with 12 across and 2 for the back or two smaller pieces. You will want to glue one or two sticks either across the back or diagonal depending on the size you choose. Sometimes you need some time for the glue to set and sometimes you might need a piece of tape on the back to make it extra sturdy.
2. Paint your sticks! You can paint them any color you want. Choose based on the creation you want to make. You could choose orange if you want to paint a pumpkin, white for a ghost or you could choose green if you wanted to make a frankenstein. One of our Thoughtful Traditions models chose pink for her spooky monster and we can’t blame her!
3. Let the paint dry. Take a few minutes to let your paint dry before you move on to decorating.
4. Make your face. In the Thoughtful Traditions Halloween box I included a set of googly eyes for you in different sizes. Add two eyes and make a pretty pumpkin or add lots of eyes for a spooky monster! You can add a nose and mouth with a sharpie or marker or if you want to get really fancy, use construction paper and you can make a scary mouth, a hat, hair, a funny nose, the sky is the limit.
5. Once your project is complete you can but it in your “boo your neighbor” bag as a gift, send to grandparents, add a magnet and put it on your fridge or add some string and put in on your door!
A few other ideas:
Put the sticks together and draw a pretty pumpkin or a scary monster with a sharpie or marker. Then take the sticks apart and use them sticks as a puzzle.
If you have some extra yarn, make a spider web using your popsicles. Glue 3 sticks together making a web shape. Tie one end of your yarn to a popsicle stick and then wrap the yarn around each stick until your web is created. Once you are done wrapping the yarn, tie the end to a popsicle stick. Leave a tail of yarn to hang hang your spider web.
For an older child, I have seen some really cool haunted houses made from popsicle sticks! Let your child be creative and make his / her own super scary haunted house!
You can follow #thoughtfultraditions on social media to see the fun projects being made from the supplies in our Thoughtful Tradition boxes! I love seeing all the kids create unique and different projects using the same tools!